Friday, July 15, 2011

Friendship

"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never the same." - Author Unknown

Not all friends are flesh and blood. If the blossoming of a generation full of electronic communication has made anything clear to me, it's that. But friends of the spirit were around long before technology. And they've always come in many forms.

For as long as I've been reading, which is nearly as long as I can remember, many of my best friends were those I found on the written page. They've laughed with me, cried with me, comforted me, and understood me. They gave me the words that I couldn't find to express myself. They made me think and see the world through different eyes. They were as real to me as my classmate in geometry. More real than the math itself. (and goodness knows I remember them better).

These friends have helped remind me of my values, they've led the way through difficult times and they've shown incredible perseverance in times of adversity. Many of them are so popular that they've had movies made about their lives.

Today one of those movies ended. It's been a long road and an incredible journey that we've shared with them. They've shown the world what true friendship is and we are all the better for it. So for today, all I can say is thank you. Thank you Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Luna, Ginny, Tonks, Lupin, Sirius, Snape, Dumbledore, Seamus, Wood, Mr. & Mrs. Weasley, Fred, George, Fleur, Hedwig, Buckbeak, Hagrid, Professor McGonagall, Dobby, Fawkes, and even Draco. Thanks to all of you for existing, even if it's only in my mind. I'm sure we'll see eachother again soon.

"Harry: Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?
Dumbledore: Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean it is not real?" -Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

No comments:

Post a Comment