Sunday, January 8, 2012

Slow Cooking - Pot Roast

With how much I love slow cooking, it may be a surprise to hear that I had never made a pot roast before. That's right, never. In fact, I didn't really even know what one was until about a year ago. It sort of fell off of my culinary radar until I wanted to expand my repertoire with something new. You may get rave reviews with your roasts and your stews, but you have to mix it up - variety is the spice of life!

I have loved braised meat since my childhood. My mom and grandmother both made great dishes of the sort. Those dishes always filled the house with pleasant smells and then tasted good when they were served up. My favorite thing to do was pour the juice over the ubiquitous white rice that we had with every meal. Meat and juice - good stuff.

These days, I try and keep the spirit of that alive, even if it's using a western flavor profile. Fill the house with good smells, serve a moist piece of meat, and leave plenty of juices. Here's the first pot roast I attempted, straight out of our handy cookbook, "How to Cook Everything" by Mark Bittman.

The dished up product.

I marinated the beef in red wine vinegar and spices for a day and then used same liquid to cook the pot roast. The result was yummy and not too sour. Pot roast is definitely delicious as left overs and a word to anyone who wants to get the most out the remaining liquid - reduce it so that it is thick and saucy. Just for good measure, here are some extra pictures of the work in progress, enjoy!

Marination.

Searing the beef, to keep the juices in.

The accompanying vegetables.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment